Summer time is here! Well technically, if you’re looking at a calendar, summer is still a couple weeks out, but if you’re a parent of school aged children, summer has already begun! And if you live in Austin, Texas like we do, there’s no arguing summer is definitely here with these 100+ degree days of weather this week.
I love this recipe for so many reasons. It’s easy to make, clean up is a breeze, makes for yummy leftovers for the week and it’s great for entertaining as people can assemble tacos to their liking.
We entertain a lot in the summer and our get togethers usually revolve around the pool. I love all things bbq, but my husband is the grill master in our house. He also happens to be the super star swimmer and the kids love how much fun he is in the pool with them. Since I haven’t figured out how to clone him, i needed a recipe that is great for crowds, kid friendly and appropriate for summer BBQs, but doesn’t actually have to be cooked on the grill. Just prep before the party and pop the trays in when your ready to grub.
This sheet pan fajita recipe is a quick and healthy dinner the whole family will love. It’s versatile and can easily be made into tacos, salads or bowls and holds well for leftovers. I used to make this amazing recipe by Cooking Classy and it became such a staple in our house it slowly evolved to a larger portion with a couple ingredients omitted for consciences, but very much inspired by her yummy recipe.
l’ve made this recipe a large batch, it can easily feed 2 families or enough for leftovers. If you want a smaller batch, just divide in half, but I bet you’ll be craving leftovers the next day!
Don’t forgot to stock up on my secret ingredient – Wuju hot sauce. I’ve tried a lot of different hot sauces but this one is hands down my favorite. It’s more sweet than hot thanks to the agave nectar and mango, but it packs in the flavor! We buy it by the case on Amazon and add it to everything. You can get it here https://amzn.to/3xE8ClZ.
- 3lb chicken breast tenders
- 3 bell peppers, variety of colors, reseeded and sliced
- 1 large purple onion, sliced
- 12oz portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tablespoon avocado oil, divided into three
- 1.5 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1.5 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon table salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon ground pepper
- Taco shells
- Taco condiments of choice. Our favorites are prepared pico de gallo, shredded cheese greek yogurt and Wuju hot sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine seasonings in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine bell pepper, onions and mushrooms and toss with 1/2 the oil and 1/2 of the seasoning mixture.
- Spread mixture onto baking sheet.
- Add chicken tenders to bowl. Toss with remaining oil and seasoning mixture.
- Spread chicken on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken tenders to. Turing board and chop up for easy assembly.
- Serve with taco shells and your favorite toppings. Enjoy!