Back in the day when we could gather in large groups and frolic about, my friend Jess started a recipe club.. I absolutely love this concept (and Jess)!! Basically, a group of moms come together for a Moms night and everyone brings one dish – ranging from appetizers to dessert along with recipe cards. You grab a plate, pile up your dish with a little of this – a little of that, and return to snap a photo of the recipes you want to make at home. Recipes were also posted to the group page after in case you can’t stop dreaming about that dish you forgot to snap because you were too busy chatting with new friends.
One of the dishes I tried was Eggroll in a bowl. I had heard of the dish before, but honestly, this gluten free gal hasn’t had an egg roll in over a decade and don’t remember them being so memorable anyway. Wrong! I was so wrong! This concept is amazing! I just feel bad for the poor guy who limited the world’s tastebuds by deciding to shove this tastiness into a fried wonton shell to make an actual egg roll. Are they good? I can’t remember!
Anywho, I raced to the store the next morning to pick up the ingredients to make the dish for the fam the next night. It was a hit! so I made it again. And again. And again. Each time slightly adjusting some ingredients and turning it into this recipe for Eggroll in a bowl.
The great thing about this dish is you can make the basic egg roll in a bowl mix and allow everyone to modify for their living and macros. Hubby loves adding cashews and avocado to his and I love mixing riced cauliflower into the rice to add in some more volume. If you are going low carb, skip the rice and serve over steamed cauliflower florets.
The recipe below if for one dinner (for a family of four), but I recommend doubling the recipe and keeping on hand for leftovers throughout the week as it reheats well and your probably going to want another round.
- 1lb. 93% ground turkey
- 8oz bag of shredded cabbage (or coleslaw mix)
- 5oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 Tablespoon tureen ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- Sliced green onions
- 2 Tablespoon roasted cashew pieces
- 1 Tablespoon sriracha
1. Prepare rice according to package or use rice maker.
2. Brown ground turkey over medium heat until cooked through.
3. Drain and return to pan.
4. Add ginger and salt and sauté for two minutes.
5. Add coconut aminos, mushrooms and cabbage mix and sauté for three minutes. Add lid to pan and continue to cook for three minutes until cabbage is soft.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with green onions, cashew pieces and sriracha.
7. Serve over rice.