Traditionally, bolognese is made with wine, cream and a lot of love as it’s a slow cooked sauce, but since this recipe can be whipped up in 20 minutes and doesn’t contain wine or cream, Cheater Bolognese sounds a little more fitting.
Bolognese sauce is my go-to dinner. It’s comforting, pairs well with pasta or veggie noodles and stores great as leftovers. I’m a pretty picker eater and can usually distinguish between fresh and reheated frozen, but bolognese is one that tastes great both ways. Every couple of months I make a giant batch and freeze leftovers in smaller containers for an effortless dinner. I just grab the pre spiralized zucchini and butternut squash noodles and sauté them for a few minutes and top with the previously frozen bolognese sauce.
To save time, I buy the prepared mirepoix mix from the grocery store. Trader Joe’s makes a great one, but I’ve been able to find in the produce section of any grocery store. Alternatively, you could make your own by chopping carrot, celery and onion.
- 1lb. grass fed ground beef
- 14.5oz mirepoix mix (alternatively make your own by combining 1/2 cup each of chopped celery, carrot and onion)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 15oz. tomato sauce
- 15oz. fire roasted tomato with diced garlic
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoon avocado garlic oil
- 1 Tablespoon garlic puree
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat 2 Tablespoon avocado garlic oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat. Add mirepoix mix and onion and sauté until tender, 4 – 5 minutes. Sprinkle with half the salt and pepper. Add garlic and sauté an additional two minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Brown beef in pan. sprinkle with the remaining half of the salt and pepper. Cook through, approx 6 -7 minutes. Drain beef and add back to pan. Add sautéed mirepoix mix to pan. Add salt, pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, tomato paste, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Turn heat to simmer and cover with lid for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Serve over favorite paste or veggie noodles and top with parmesan cheese and capers.