A few weeks ago I discovered Built Bars – my new favorite protein snack! I kept seeing the bars pop up on my instagram feed, specifically with comments about how much they taste like Almond Joy candy bars, but pack 15g of protein and only 110 calories. Sounds too good to be true, right? After a couple weeks of having Almond Joy cravings, I was checking out at the grocery store waiting in line when I spotted Almond Joy bars and I started salivating. I’m talking drool dangling out of my mouth salivating. I have no idea how I made it out of the store without buying one, but as soon as I hopped in my car I got on Built Bars website to place my first order for their sample box.
A little breakdown on some of the things I loved seeing Built Bar call out on their website:
- 110 calories
- 15g protein
- 4g fat
- 13g carbs (5 net)
- 4g sugar
- Sweetened with erythritol and glycerin
- 6g fiber
- Gluten Free
- No artificial Flavoring or Coloring
- No artificial preservatives
- No GMO
Now I just want to note, there is nothing wrong with eating an occasional almond joy bar. After all, they are gluten free. In fact, I’ve been known to steal the mini size out of Ryder’s halloween bucket (Shhhh!!), but I’ve got one hell of a sweet tooth and grabbing one bar at the grocery store checkout could easily turn into a daily habit, especially since I frequent the grocery store almost daily.
A few days after the grocery store/drooling incident, a built bar combo pack with 6 flavors arrived in the mail and I got to try my first bite of HEAVEN!!! It was love at first bite the second the raspberry chocolate creme bar hit my tounge. These are unlike any protein bar I’ve ever had. They taste much more like a marshmallow than a chalky protein bar (although, I happen to enjoy that texture, too). They are creamy and the perfect after dinner treat to curb my sweet tooth.
I posted about it on instagram and it turns out, a lot of my followers are ahead of the game and have also experienced this heavenly product. For those who have, there was all kinds of back and forth on which flavor takes the lead and how we most prefer each flavor – room temp, fridge temp or frozen. A couple people even suggested microwaving for 20 – 30 seconds, but I found it made it much chewier and I prefer the soft gooeyness of the bar.
After tasting a couple more flavors, I was hooked. I immediately ordered a large sample box so I could try all the flavors and promised you all a flavor review. If you are new to built bars, I recommend you try the sample box. Or, if you love a specific type of flavor, Builtbar sells flavors by the case or the option to customize your box with flavors of your choice.
See below for my flavor breakdown. Ready to order your own box? Use this link or enter the code rmb2020 at checkout for 10% off your order. Full disclosure: I earn a small commission for using my code, but I would recommend these without getting any kick back and only recommend products I truly LOVE!
Listed from favorite to least:
Chocolate Coconut Creme
- Taste like an almond joy.
- Perfect amount of sweetness. Curbs my sweet tooth, but doesn’t have an overpowering taste.
- I could eat two of these back to back.
- Tastes amazing out of the freezer and sliced or room temp, sliced and topped with an actual almond.
Double Chocolate Mousse
- Tastes like a truffle.
- I ordered a case of these specifically to be used in case of PMS emergency. The PERFECT solution to chocolate craving.
- Delicious room temp, chopped up and added as a topping to greek yogurt or stuffed inside a raspberry.
Mint Chocolate Creme
- Tastes like a peppermint patty.
- Amazing out of the freezer and at room temp
- Super refreshing.
Raspberry Chocolate Creme
- The combo of fruit and chocolate is so decadent.
- Unlike anything I’ve ever tasted. A great intro flavor to Built Bars.
Strawberry Chocolate Creme
- Love the fruit and chocolate combo.
- A great replacement if you are craving chocolate covered strawberries.
Lemon Chocolate Creme/Orange Chocolate Creme
- I’m putting these at the same level, because they are very similar to me. I’m not a fan of citrus and chocolate, but these were my husband and Mom’s favorite. I think this is a great alternative to the chocolate oranges they have at grocery stores ear the holidays.
- I enjoyed both in small quantities so I popped them int eh freezer, sliced them up and had a slice at a time.
Salted Caramel Creme
- This one was OK. It was very sweet and had almost like a chocolate liquor taste, but I could only handle a bite or two at a time. I should note, I’m not typically a salted caramel fan.
Vanilla Chocolate Creme
This was the only flavor I didn’t enjoy. If you love vanilla, it may be for you, but I wouldn’t recommend someone try this flavor as your first Built Bar experience. To me, it was just that – vanilla.
Now what are you waiting for? Go ahead and try these delicious bars!! I’d love our feedback and to hear which flavor is your favorite!