I don’t know about you guys, but my morning routine is a real shit show. Both my kids are early risers (Hello 4:30am!) and Ryder somehow wakes up with more energy than the energy bunny and wants to throw a morning rave party. Between feeding the kids, packing lunch, getting all three of us ready, packing the diaper bag and entertaining the kiddos, my breakfast somehow gets knocked off the to do list and I end up grabbing a protein bar on our way our the door.
I wanted to make something that I could prep in advance and gobble down while wearing Ruby and entertaining Ryder. These banana chia protein bowls are the perfect solution! They can be prepped days in advance, taste delicious and are packed with protein. I make the bowls Sunday evening and store in these Pyrex glass 4 up Tupperware containers to be gobbled up throughout the week. When I’m ready to have breakfast, I pull one out of the fridge and crumble the coconut topping so it keeps its crunch.
When selecting bananas, the riper the sweeter, but keep in mind you may not be eating them for another few days if prepped in advance. I aim for a middle of the road ripened banana.
The recipe below is for one bowl, but I multiply the recipe by however many mornings i am prepping in advance for.
Ingredients (Yields one bowl)
- 7oz low-fat greek yogurt
- 1 ripe bananas
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use Trader Joes pea protein)
- 7g of Dang coconut chips crumbled up and added just before eating.
- Mash bananas into a pudding like consistancy using a large mixing bowl.
- Add protein powder, chia seeds, greek yogurt and almond milk and mix well.
- Store in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, add crumbled coconut and enjoy!